It’s not lost on us that producing any product can have a profound impact on the environment. That’s why we strive to preserve it as much as we possibly can. We believe in the scientific facts of climate change and use the most sustainable products we can find. From all-natural buckwheat hulls that fill our floor cushions to compostable packaging, we strive to do our part to offset emissions and protect our world. We also partner with One Tree Planted to plant one tree in our community for every zafu produced.
We are conscious of our environmental impact and carbon footprint throughout our supply chain. Let’s start with our raw materials. Below we list the sustainable and eco-friendly benefits of each.
- It doesn’t need much water to grow.
- Buckwheat has shallow roots.
- It regenerates the soil and grows quickly.
- It can break disease cycles.
- Save the bees! Buckwheat flowers are fragrant and very attractive to bees that use them to produce a dark honey.
- It’s Colorado grown.
- Reduces our carbon footprint.
- It’s a rotational crop that regenerates the soil.
- Like buckwheat, millet doesn’t need much water to grow.
- Lavender does not rely on pesticides and fertilizers.
- Lavender is drought tolerant and does not need much water to grow.
- It is very fragrant and attracts many pollinators.
- Sage does not need much water to grow.
- It does not require much fertilizer, if any.
- We use 100% Baltic linen for our zafus.
- Linen is made from flax. Flax is grown with far less water and pesticide than cotton.
- Linen is fully biodegradable.
Each of our products is shipped to you with sustainability in mind. We use The Better Packaging Co. comPOST Packs – they are made from corn starch, PLA (synthesized corn), and PBAT. They are 100% compostable and result in a 60% reduction in CO2 emissions compared to traditional plastics.
All of our products are made by hand and sourced locally as much as possible. This keeps our ecological footprint low and our planet happy. We are always improving our processes and supply chain to meet the rigorous standards we set for ourselves. We fully believe it is our responsibility to preserve the environment that we will one day hand back to our children. Join us on our sustainability journey and rest assured every purchase you make with Olive & Olde’s is backed by a lot of research, thoughtfulness, and LOVE.